I’m in the land of apples and cherries! It’s apple season in Washington, and I am in love.
Apple picking has been going on everywhere and we’re making all kinds of goodies. Apple sauce, apple crisp, savory sausage and apple stuffings, and one of my favorites, apple butter.
Apple butter is incredibly easy to make, you must try it! It’s perfect on homemade biscuits, pancakes, toast…we even make peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches sometimes. Most recipes call for added sugar…but I’ve found that to be totally unnecessary. But I know you don’t want to read about that…you want the recipe! So, here you go!
- 4lbs Apples (I highly recommend Honey Crisp! But any apples will work)
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel, core, and slice your apples.
- Place apples in the crock pot.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Set slow cooker on low, and leave it for 10+ hours until soft.
- Mix every 2-3 hours or so.
- Use an immersion blender to bring it to your desired consistency.
- Cover and let it cool, then keep it in containers in the fridge or freezer.
I used my instant pot for this recipe on the slow cooker setting. I also found the mix and chop tool to be really helpful!