If you’re a new gardener and want to plant some really easy vegetables in your first garden, stick around because this is for you!
First a quick tip: Check what growing zone you’re in and check your local ag exemption office website for the best plant dates for different varieties of produce you want to grow for your area. They will have the best info on when and what to plant for your specific location.
Most zones will be able to grow these veggies at some point in your growing season though, and in my experience these are the easiest veggies to start with!
- Sugar Snap Peas – to get a prolific harvest, prune them after they get their second set of true leaves, right above their first set of leaves.
- Carrots – make sure to thin them after they are about 3 inches high.
- Potatoes – no space to grow potatoes in your garden? Potatoes do great in containers.
- Swiss Chard – shade friendly, and pest resistant!
- Green Beans – easy to grow – but if you’re in the south, keep an eye out for bean leaf roller caterpillars!
- Cucumbers – plant with radishes to deter pests.