Every spring we go strawberry picking at a local strawberry farm. It’s always a big highlight each year! The kids love it.
Is there anything more quintessentially spring then strawberry picking??
Over the years we’ve done a lot of different things with all the strawberries we’ve picked, like making jam, freezer jam, fruit leather, and just eating them fresh!
This year I decided to freeze most of them, eat a lot fresh, and make some strawberry shortcake!
Growing up this was one of my favorite desserts. But we always made it with a twist. We made it without shortcake!
We make strawberry shortcake with homemade biscuits! It’s soooo good! Buttery, flaky, they are the perfect vehicle for fresh strawberries and cream. They really let the strawberries and whipped cream shine, they don’t compete with it like shortcake can.
And with all the fresh herbs in my garden, I got a crazy idea to kick things up a notch! I added fresh basil to the strawberries, and it added a nice note to the dish. I think mint would be fun to try too! Of course, it’s delicious without the herbs, but if you’re looking for a bit of a twist, give it a try!
So, you ready for a fresh, light, summery strawberry dessert??
Strawberry (with Basil) Shortcake
3 cups fresh strawberries
raw organic sugar (to taste)
Fresh Basil leaves
1 biscuit recipe
2 cups fresh raw cream
1. Prepare your favorite homemade biscuit recipe.
2. Rinse, hull, and quarter the strawberries. Place them in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar to macerate the strawberries. The amount of sugar is up to you and how sweet your strawberries are on their own, but definitely use some sugar to get those yummy juices out!
3. At this point chiffonade a few basil leaves and add it to the strawberries, if using. Cover strawberry mixture and set aside for about 20-30 minutes.
4. When you’re ready to serve, whip up your cream. Here’s a great tutorial if you’ve never tried it before. (and if you haven’t, you are missing out!!)
5. To assemble, break the biscuit in half and put a big spoonful of macerated strawberries and basil on top. Then a big dollop of fresh whipped cream, and then the other half of the biscuit and a bit more strawberries.
Then dig in! This is truly the most scrumptious dessert – the perfect blend of homey and elegant, sweetness and freshness. You’re gonna love it!
What’s your favorite thing to make with strawberries??
This post shared at: The HomeAcre Hop