I have a new love! Making homemade gummies!
The sky is the limit when it comes to the flavor combinations here. My kids love them. And I don’t have to feel that internal conflict about my kids eating junk or feeling deprived. I really hate “fruit snacks”. Truly. I think it’s one of the biggest cons in the grocery store. I mean really, fruit?? They are just full of synthetic dyes and flavorings, and high fructose corn syrup…not anything my littles need to help them grow and be healthy. And besides, these homemade versions are super easy to make!
Today I’m sharing a flavor I came up with to help with motion sickness in the car, or even tummy issues at home. Peppermint is my personal go-to when I’m traveling, but it’s a bit too intense for my little kids. I knew that ginger essential oil was another great one for tummy issues, so I started experimenting. I added lemon to the mix too, for flavor and it’s recently been shown to help with morning sickness! Sweetened with raw honey and made with grass-fed gelatin, and you’ve got a no-junk, real food, gummy! These ginger gummies have been a huge hit, my kids love them, and they are easy to bring with us on trips and gentle enough for them when they have a stomach ache.
Ready to give these a try??
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Lemon juice
- 3 Tb Honey
- 5 Tb Gelatin
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Combine first three ingredients and heat to the point of steaming.
- Take off heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the essential oils and stir.
- Slowly add the gelatin while whisking constantly to avoid clumping (pre-measure the gelatin to make things a little easier).
- Pour into mold or flat-bottomed glass dish. Let set in refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Remove from mold or cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.