I am soooo in love with this shelf!!
It’s been a while since I’ve broken out some DIY action, and I thought it was overdue. So. I’m gonna share how I made over this shelf! I don’t focus a lot of my time and resources on decorating right now, because my focus is on building up our homestead — but this baby was all free! So I took a couple of evenings to work on it. And I just love the old french country charm.
We were given this shelf by our neighbors who didn’t want it anymore. And well, I’m not one to say no to free furniture! But I didn’t want to spend a dime on making it over either. So I rummaged through our shed and came out victorious with a can of paint, un-sanded grout, some stain, and sandpaper. Boom! Watch out!
I found these recipes for making chalk paint. I used the un-sanded grout version, aaaannd I can’t say I’d recommend it. It worked, but it was more clumpy then I would have liked it to be – meaning more sanding. But, hey, I got a cute shelf for nothing, so I ain’t complainin’!
So here’s what I did.
Step 1: First I wiped down the shelf with a damp rag to just clean off dust, dirt…cob webs…this project may or may not have waited too long on the porch before I got around to it….ehem.
Step 2: Then I whipped up some chalk paint, and painted two coats. It dried SUPER fast. Once I was done painting it, the other side was ready for the second coat. So I’d say maybe 20 minutes dry time? Not bad!
Step 3: Then I sanded it baby! After sanding I wiped it off again. And then things got unconventional. But I’m sure you aren’t surprised about that!
Step 4: I broke out some grey drift wood stain. And I stained the paint. Yep. I probably broke a ton of rules doing that, but hey, remember this was all free? And the color I was going for was sort of a paris greyish/duck eggish color, and that blue just wasn’t quite right. I had a feeling that the grey stain would bring it a lot closer to what I was looking for. Plus I figured if it didn’t work I could just sand it again. Well, it worked! It took some finesse, the stain sort of sat on top of the paint for a little bit, so I had to be careful with my brush strokes, but it wasn’t hard. I let it dry and then distressed it! (To distress it I just used a fine grade sandpaper and sanded off random spots and edges so it looked a bit old and weathered. Super simple!)
Step 5: After that I gave a nice coat of white paint to the bead board back, painted the knob and reattached it, and voila! Shabby chic shelf!