Let’s get fancy today!
We don’t go out to eat very often. There are two reasons for this, it’s expensive and it’s far away. We live at least 30 minutes away from town with it’s many restaurants. And to be honest, when you make a shift in the way you eat, towards more whole and traditional foods…restaurant’s just don’t taste as good as what we can make at home. I mean, unless you want to go some place very high end, and in that case we’re even farther away.
But that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy something fancy at home every once and a while! I actually really enjoy making this french bread. It’s perfect to go with homemade soups and absolutely divine as french toast. But recently I added some of my homemade dried rosemary and oregano essential oil, and well, it was amazing.
And then I decided to go the extra mile and used my essential oils to help make that fancy herb olive oil that they give you at restaurants…perfection. And the best part, it’s not even that hard. Really!
So, here you go, some delicious fancy date-night-at-home worthy french bread!
- 2 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 T. dry yeast
- 2 T. raw sugar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 drop Rosemary or Oregano Essential Oil (optional)
- 1 T. salt
- 6 c. white flour
- 1 small egg
- Pinch of dried rosemary (optional)
- 3 Tb Olive Oil
- 1 drop Oregano Essential Oil
- Pinch of Dried Rosemary
- Pinch of Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- Add warm water to large mixing bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Add raw sugar and let it dissolve.
- Stir in olive oil. **If you want to infuse the bread with herby flavor, add 1 drop of oregano or rosemary essential oil.**
- Add 3 cups of the flour and salt. Mix together by hand (don't use a mixer, it will over work the dough).
- Add remaining flour and mix well.
- Knead by hand to form a soft dough - it shouldn't be sticky though.
- Form the dough into a ball and place back into bowl. Let dough rest, covered, for 10-15 minutes then punch down to release all the air pockets.
- Repeat this resting/punching process 3 times.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, evenly divide into two pieces, and roll each out to about a 9x12 rectangle.
- Roll up like a jelly roll and tuck in the ends pinch together the seam.
- Lay seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Prepare an egg wash (whisk one egg) and brush over the bread and make a few diagonal cuts across the top of the bread. If you wish, sprinkle some dried rosemary on top.
- Bake at 400 for 15-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add olive oil into a small shallow dish, add oregano essential oil, dried rosemary, and salt and pepper. Mix.
- Dip bread in and enjoy!
- *The oregano essential oil gives this bread a hint of herbyness that is quite nice. If you want a stronger herb flavor in the bread, add 2 drops. If you have rosemary essential oil, that would be nice too.
- *Leave out the herbs and this bread is PERFECT for french toast.
Wondering what else you could use Oregano Essential Oil for?? I’ll tell ya!
- Cold and Flu
- Strep throat
- Wart removal
- Mole and skin tag removal
- Ring worm
- and more!
If you want to learn even more about essential oils, sign up for my essential oil newsletter! You can also join my facebook group where I share daily tips and info on essential oils. I’d love to see you there!