My sugar snap peas are doing great, guys! I’m so excited! They’ve been doing so well that it was time to put in a trellis for them. I saw this idea on Pinterest that I just loved, and I knew I had to try it out myself. Being the diy-er that I am, I grabbed some materials from the shed and made three trellises based off that original idea I saw in Pinterest. And of course I’m going to share with you how I did it!
Wire Fencing (mine was about 4 feet wide)
1. I rolled out the fencing and cut a section that was approximately 30 inches long.
2. I trimmed the excess all along the other side.
3. Then I trimmed off the very bottom edge to create what would become the stakes.
4. After that I cut out the cross sections of wire to make the stakes longer.
5. & 6. All that was left from there was to use the zip ties to connect both sides and then trim the excess. I used about 4 zip ties for each trellis.
I realized after making this that it will now be difficult to weed in the middle. In future gardens I’ll probably make these thinner and stake the trellises at planting and plant the peas around the trellis – more similar to the original idea. But since I put these in after the fact, I was nervous to put them in the middle – I didn’t want to damage the plants. So I’ll be putting mulch in the middle to help with the weeds this season.
I’m not sure how much this cost me, as I had all materials on hand and I got that roll of fencing for a killer deal at $10! But I would imagine that any kind of fencing you may have lying around from old projects would work for this. I have a few more types of trellises to make, and this roll of fencing is definitely going to come in handy!
This post shared on,
The Homestead Barn Hop